1. Ecclesfield Common to Horbury LaneDistance: 3 miles Time: Allow 1 to 1.5 hours
A Medium walk, reasonable for fit walkers. Mostly level on surfaced paths / roads but with some uphill sections through woods across fields. Some stiles. Good views across farmland near Ecclesfield.
2. High Green to WortleyDistance: 7 miles Time: Allow 3 hours
A moderate to difficult walk. Some road walking but several sections cross undulating farmland, with stiles. Two steep climbs up / down steps. Boots or stout shoes needed.
3. Potter Hill to Greno WoodsDistance: 5 miles Time: Allow 2 hours
A circular walk of around 5 miles through fields and ancient woodlands on the edge of High Green and Grenoside. Good views towards Barnsley and beyond from Greno Knoll at the top of Greno Woods.
4. Charlton Brook and Thorncliffe PondDistance: 2.5 miles Time: Allow 1.5 hours
An easy, flat walk around Charlton Brook to Charlton Brook Dam. The walk may be extended to include the wooded area around Thorncliffe Pond. The woodlands along both sections of the walk are attractive in all seasons and host a variety of wildlife. Total walk about 2.5 miles.
5. Mortomley to Thorncliffe WoodsDistance: 2 miles Time: Allow 1 hour
A woodland walk of around 2 miles into Thorncliffe Woods, returning along Westwood Dam and the brook winding down the valley.
6. Grenoside to WhitleyDistance: 4 miles Time: Allow 1.5 hours
A steady walk of around 4 miles through ancient woodlands and pretty villages on country lanes and footpaths across fields. Several stiles and some uphill sections across fields.
8. Ecclesfield Church to WhitleyDistance: 2 miles Time: Allow 1 hour
A walk of around 2 miles through woods and across fields. Some surfaced paths or roads, but with some uphill sections and stiles. Good views across farmland near Ecclesfield
Great care has been taken to ensure that the information on this website is accurate. Ecclesfield Parish Council accept no liability for any claim, loss, damage or injury (however arising) incurred by those using the information provided.
If you have any comments about the walks, encounter any difficulties or would like information on other activities in the Ecclesfield area please contact Ecclesfield Parish Council.
Special thanks to Ecclesfield & District Archive and Chapeltown and High Green archive for their contributions and knowledge.